REALTORS® are known for helping people buy and sell real estate, but much of what a REALTOR® actually does to earn their commission happens behind the scenes.
A good REALTOR® will make your real estate transaction flow smoothly through each step of the process, leaving the impression that their job is fairly simple. The fact is – that couldn’t be further from the truth. Anyone who has ever lived with a REALTOR® knows how difficult their job is. If you’ve never spent much one-on-one time with a REALTOR®, you may not understand how different their job is from the average everyday job.
A day in the life of a good REALTOR® is extremely complicated.
Being a REALTOR® is Exhausting!
As you read through some of the tasks on the infographic above, it may seem overwhelming. That’s because it is. Full-time REALTORS® who excel in their careers are high-energy, time-efficient professionals who know how to handle stress and responsibility well. There are definitely REALTORS® out there who cut corners and do not take care of their responsibilities as well, but they should not define our industry. The real estate industry is loaded with very impressive professionals with whom I am proud to work with.
Below is a list of common REALTOR® responsibilities, including those in the infographic above.
Common REALTOR® Responsibilities:
- Schedule Showings
- Schedule Listing Appointments
- Maintain Required Continuing Education
- Deliver Earnest Money On Time
- Coordinate Property Inspections
- Keep Up With Mortgage Company Progress
- Negotiate Counteroffers
- Schedule Closings
- Attend Closings
- Get All Disclosures Delivered & Signed
- Keep The Transaction On Track
- Provide Educational Materials to Consumers
- Keep Your Blog Active
- Maintain Active Social Media Profiles
- Answer the Phone ALL DAY & NIGHT
- Return Missed Phone Calls
- Return Emails ASAP
- Follow Up With Website Inquiries
- Keep Up With Changing Laws
- Run Comparables for Buyers & Sellers
- Determine Accurate Pricing
- Help Stage & Present Properties
- Meet the Appraiser at Property
- Meet the Inspector(s) at Property
- Show Hundreds-Thousands of Homes Each Year
- Get Signed Contract to Title Company
- Negotiate Repairs
- Keep Clients Updated With Each Step
- Provide Comps for the Appraiser
- Coordinate Closing
- Make Sure There is a Clear Title
- Explain the Contract to Clients
- Provide Advice on Offer Price
- Explain The Current Real Estate Market
- Explain Pros & Cons of Each Neighborhood
- Verify Completion of Repairs
- Make Sure The Loan Funds
- Schedule & Attend the Walkthrough
- Dispute Low Appraisals
- Verify Delivery of Title Commitment
- Remind Clients to Schedule Utilities
- Manage Your Online Reputation
- Compete with 1,000’s of REALTORS® for Business
- Deal With Vendors
- Keep MLS Listing Data Current
- Attend Real Estate Conferences
- Network with Local Home Builders
- Coordinate Open Houses
- Check Up On Past Clients
- Still Have a Life After You’re Done!